Publications below are organized by topic. Please see CV on homepage for a chronological list.
>Clefts: Interpretation, use and processing
- Walker-Cecil, K. & E. Destruel. (2021). Interpretation of focus in Haitian Creole se-clefts. In Gielau, E. & Gupton, T. (eds.) East and West of The Pentacrest: Linguistic Studies in Honor of Paula Kempchinsky. New York: John Benjamins. (preliminary version here, https://benjamins.com/catalog/ihll.33 -- online: https://www.jbe-platform.com/content/books/9789027259929#chapters)
- Destruel, E., Beaver, D. & L. Coppock. (2019). It's not what you expected! The surprising nature of cleft alternatives in French and English. Frontiers in Psychology 10.
- Destruel., E. & J. DeVeaugh-Geiss. (2019). (Non)-exhaustivity in French c’est-clefts. In Christopher Piñon (ed.), Empirical Issues in Syntax and Semantics 12 (Selected papers from CSSP 2017).
- Destruel, E. & J. DeVeaugh-Geiss. (2018). On the interpretation and processing of exhaustivity: Evidence of variation in English and French clefts. Journal of Pragmatics 138, 1-16. (preliminary version here)
- Destruel, E. (2017). The pragmatics of (non-)prototypical French clefts: Influence of the type of question on naturalness & interpretation. Journal of Pragmatics 121, 58-75. (preliminary version here)
- Destruel, E., Beaver, D. & L. Coppock. (2017). Clefts: Quite the contrary! Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 21, Edinburgh, UK.
- Destruel, E. (2016). Focus marking asymmetries in Colloquial and Standard French: A stochastic OT account. Journal of French Language Studies 26:3, 299-326.
- Destruel, E., Velleman, D., E. Onea, D. Bumford, J. Xue, & D. Beaver. (2015). A cross-linguistic study of the non-at-issueness of exhaustive inferences. In Florian Schwarz (ed.), Experimental Perspectives on Presuppositions. Studies in Theoretical Psycholinguistics, Series Vol. 45. Springer. pp. 135-156.
- Destruel, E. & L. Velleman. (2014). Refining contrastiveness. Empirical evidence from the English it-cleft. In Christopher Piñon (ed.), Empirical Issues in Syntax and Semantics 10 (Selected papers from CSSP 2013), pp.197–214.
- Destruel, E. (2013). An empirical approach to the pragmatics of the (non)-canonical French sentences. Proceedings from the 46th Chicago Linguistic Society Conference, Chicago, USA.
- Destruel, E. (2012). The French c'est-cleft: An empirical study on its meaning and use. In Christopher Piñon (ed.), Empirical Issues in Syntax and Semantics 9 (Selected papers from CSSP 2011), pp.95–112.
- Velleman, D. B., D. Beaver, E. Destruel, D. Bumford, E. Onea & E. Coppock. (2012). It-clefts are IT (inquiry terminating) constructions. In Anca Chereches, Neil Ashton and David Lutz (eds.), Proceedings of Semantics And Linguistics Theory (SALT) 22, pp. 441-460.
>Prosody & Information Structure
- Destruel, E. & C. Féry. (2020). Prominence in French dual focus. Language & Speech 29, 233-250.
- Destruel, E. & C. Féry. (2019). Compression in French: Effect of length and information status on the prosody of post-verbal sequences. In Proceedings of Going Romance Conference 30, 2016. Frankfurt, Germany.
- Destruel, E. & C. Féry. (2015). Compression in post-verbal sequences in French. In Proceedings of the 18th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences (ICPhS). Glasgow, Scotland.
- Chen, A. & E. Destruel. (2010). Intonational encoding of focus in Toulousain French. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference Speech and Prosody. Chicago, IL, USA.
>Second Language Acquisition
- Destruel, E. (submitted 2021). Processing pragmatic inferences in L2 French speakers.
- Destruel, E. (in preparation). Scalar diversity in L2 learners of French.
- Destruel, E. & B. Donaldson (2021). The L2 acquisition of French interrogatives: Pragmatic inferences in clefted Wh-questions. Languages 6(4) - Special issue Morphosyntactic structures in French and Spanish: Advances in Research on Multicompetent Speakers. (preliminary version here)
- Hoot, B., T. Leal & E. Destruel. (2020). Object focus in Spanish: An investigation using three tasks. Glossa.
- Leal, T., Destruel, E. & B. Hoot. (2018). The acquisition of focus in L2 Spanish. Second Language Research. (online version here)
- Leal, T., Destruel, E. & B. Hoot. (2018). Focus marking in Native, Heritage and Bilingual Spanish speakers. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism 8:2, 217-251 (DOI: 10.1075/lab.16009.lea). (preliminary version here)
- Destruel, E. & B. Donaldson. (2017). Second language acquisition of pragmatic inferences: Evidence from the French c'est-cleft. Applied Psycholinguistics 38:3, 703-732 (preliminary version here)